Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Updates, Day 5 of Injections and First Follicle Ultrasound

*** Note: Now that we're in the thick of things, these updates are going to become more frequent, as I have ultrasounds scheduled every day this week and through the weekend. And if all goes according to plan, the egg retrieval will be NEXT TUESDAY, with embryo transfer slated for Sunday, August 16. Wow. We're getting closer! ***

First things first: we started the injections this past Friday (July 31) and so far, so good! Mild headaches and nausea, some fatigue and some bloating, and my ovaries are beginning to ache but nothing crazy and no heart related symptoms as of yet. And I hope that continues to be the case! I know that as the medication builds up in my system, the symptoms are likely to become more pronounced, but for now, each passing day feels like a small victory. J has been such a trooper with giving me the shots -- the first, as predicted, was the hardest but now he can get them prepared in about 15 minutes and when he actually gives the injection, there is no hesitation. He told me that while he feels badly about causing me discomfort, giving me the injections helps him feel involved which is so important. I'm proud of him for working past his needle phobia and so very grateful for his help!

Icing my injection sites post-injections: Day 1, 2, and 3
Which brings us to today. After getting home around 9 pm last night from my after-work acupuncture appointment up north and getting my day 4 injections, I had blood work done first thing this morning at 7am, went to work for about an hour and then had my first ultrasound appointment at a local gynecology office that our clinic partners with for during-the-week ultrasound appointments (thank GOD -- we will travel up north this weekend for an ultrasound but I'm so thankful I don't have to make that drive every.single.day). The blood draw was a challenge, per usual. No good veins in my arms so after applying a heat pack to the top of my right hand, she finally struck gold. As for my ultrasound, I heard back from my nurse and the results are in: after 4 days of 75 iu's of Menopur + 100 iu's of Follistim, I have several follicles that are around the same size and are right where they should be size-wise at this point, so she said things are looking great! I get to skip my blood work and ultrasound tomorrow (yay!) so the next time I do those will be Thursday, August 6. I'm so pleased things are shaping up nicely!!

The only bummer I have to report is my lab results didn't come back -- and they were ordered STAT. So, the clinic is not pleased. If my labs don't come back every day, that can actually be dangerous because they won't be able to monitor my hormone levels to watch out for OHSS (ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome) and that's really bad -- lab results also help the doctor determine medication dosage. So, starting Friday, I will have to drive all the way up to Carmel every day for my ultrasounds and lab work. Huge bummer -- it will mean I have to take even more time off work and it's just an additional hurdle and hardship. So much of this process is out of our control and that can be difficult. I guess we do what we have to do and I'm just extremely thankful my boss is willing to jump these hurdles with us when they're tossed our way.

Because I didn't get my lab work back, tonight's injections will be the same as they have been. But beginning tomorrow, we'll add another med to the rotation. In addition to the Menopur and Follistim, we will add in a Ganirelix injection. So, that is where things are likely to get more uncomfortable. I know it's all necessary in order to grow those eggs but I'm definitely anxious about adding in a third medication. One day at a time...and also, grow, eggies, grow!!

Thank you all for your amazing love and support as we continue down this path! We love you!

2 comments:

  1. Exciting stuff!!! And this is going to sound weird, but I'm so proud of your follicles!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for inviting us along on this wonderful journey! Ever so proud of you and Jason. Love you...Mom

    ReplyDelete