This morning's appointment went well - no issues in my uterus or on my ovaries, so onward we go! I was definitely nervous going in to today's ultrasound, mainly because I knew it was a "make or break" type of thing and I really REALLY didn't want to have to wait another month or longer for some residual monster follicle to shrink back down to normal size. So hooray for moving forward with our plans!
My next appointment is not for another week (which is great, because driving 2 hours each way for a 20 minute appointment is getting old fast...) and this next one, on Tuesday, October 6, will be a blood draw and uterine lining check. They will check my hormone levels and check my uterine lining to see how well it's thickening up, thanks to my estrogen 2x a day. By then, it should be 7mm or thicker - if it's not, then the doctor will increase my estrogen dose (which I'm really hoping isn't necessary because I've been feeling pretty lousy on this current dosage) and I would then take that new dose for a few days before adding in progesterone shots for six more days, leading up to transfer. If all goes perfectly to plan and we don't have to increase my estrogen dose for those few added days, transfer will most likely be either Monday, October 12 or Tuesday, October 13. If we have to push it back due to a change in estrogen dosage, then we're looking at Wednesday, October 14 or Thursday, October 15. Just two more weeks!!
And now, a bit of not-so-grand news. We've hit our first snag, and it's fairly significant, at least to us. As you can see, we're not anticipating any weekend dates for transfer, so it is highly unlikely that J will be able to come with me, due to his teaching/work responsibilities. We knew this would be an obstacle if we had to continue with IVF after he started teaching, and it's one of the MANY reasons we were hoping our first attempt would take. But that wasn't meant to be. Even though we know we have to follow the timeline as it unfolds, and we know that what is best for the embryo is the top priority, J and I are pretty disappointed. I've been fighting back tears all day (I'm sure my whacked-out hormones are partially to blame). As I said in my previous post, the IVF process has all but stripped us of any intimacy or privacy, so the transfer procedure is as close to intimate as we get: last time, we held hands during the transfer, J took a photo and a short video of the embryo actually being placed in to my uterus, and then we were given a photo of the embryo, which we viewed together privately once the transfer was complete, behind the partially closed doors of one of the procedure "staging rooms." It was emotional and it was powerful. We held each other close and cried, full of hope and so happy. We left the clinic that day feeling bonded in a whole new way and it was so special. We couldn't stop smiling! We could have just gotten pregnant! But this time, J will be at work and I will be two hours away at the clinic experiencing it all without him. Imagine doing something so important without the most important person in your life by your side. It's a big bummer. {Thankfully, my boss is going to take me but she'll be in the waiting room - and yes, I fully realize how fortunate I am to have a boss who is so caring and awesome, but I think it goes without saying that it's not the same as if J were there}. This journey has its ups and downs. It's just the nature of the beast, so to speak. We'll adapt and adjust to the idea but today, I'm feeling pretty blue about it.
C'est la vie.
In the meantime, I am to continue on with my estrogen twice daily, my prenatal vitamin, and my baby aspirin. Next Tuesday, we'll find out how my insides are coming along and hopefully set a date for transfer! If my uterus is looking nice and plush by next Tuesday's appointment (fingers crossed!), in addition to the progesterone, I'll also add in the steroid pills and antibiotics that I take for about a week leading up to transfer day. I bought myself a pill organizer ($1 special!) that I can carry with me in my purse and I can't believe I didn't think of this before now! Right now, it's just housing my estrogen and prenatal vitamins but come Oct. 6, it will be quite handy dandy.
As always, thank you for reading and for following along this journey of ours - and for loving and supporting us through it! We appreciate you, more than you know. Until next Tuesday!

No comments:
Post a Comment