Monday, April 4, 2016

Betas and First Ultrasound Appointment Date!!

Beta #1, 4/2 - 397 - WE'RE PREGNANT!!!!
Beta #2, 4/4 - 733 - doubling time of 55 hours, ie smack dab in the middle of "normal" range!! Dr and nurse team are very pleased :)

Our doctor told me the wrong beta number on Saturday. He said 367, but it was really 397! Potato, potAHto haha Initially, I was worried that my hcg level didn't officially double in 48 hrs (go from 397 to 794 or higher) but my nurse said it just has to increase by at least 60%, which it most certainly did: my number increased by 85%! The term "doubling time" is misleading because it doesn't really mean double so much as it means "increase." Anyway, that's why it pays to listen to people who know what they're talking about.

So, it's real. It's starting to sink in. This is happening and it's happening TO US. I'm 4 wks 2 days as of today - we're really pregnant and right now, blessedly and miraculously, it's progressing normally. I say "right now" because, well, I can't help but guard my heart. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled! Over the moon, really, we both are. How could we NOT be?! But we still have to get through this first trimester which is chock full of hurdles and milestones, the next of which is pretty huge: the first ultrasound.

Breathe in, breathe out.

For those of you who have been on this journey with us for many years, you will remember that the first ultrasound of our last pregnancy in 2011 was when our world came crashing down. It was then that we were told that our baby had stopped growing at roughly 5.5 wks and I officially miscarried two weeks later. It was a horrible, dreadful day. So, J and I both have a decent amount of PTSD surrounding that first initial ultrasound. BUT. This pregnancy is NOT that pregnancy. This pregnancy is THIS pregnancy and I must remember that. For the sake of whomever is so happily growing in my womb at this very moment, I have to believe that this time will be different. It will be hard, but I will do it. I will choose to hold fast to hope and to faith because I said I would and I will. J will help me stay optimistic, he always does! My rock :)

So! Our first ultrasound is scheduled for Tuesday, April 19th at 9am - I will be 6 wks 3 days along and my nurse said that they will expect to see a heartbeat! Earlier than anticipated for a heartbeat check, but hey, what do I know? I have to stop questioning their knowledge and go with it - they have far more expertise in this area than I do, after all!

It's going to be a looooong two weeks....

4 comments:

  1. I'm so giddy!!!!!!! AHHHH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallelujah! I <3 miracles! Congratulations on this day. I am just imagining your face beaming and it is making my day. Oh, I am so happy for you both. Grow little embie(s) grow!!! We so look forward to hearing the update of your little tiny thumping heart beat(s). Come on babie(s) you can do it. <3 xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!! Love you guys so much!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That little heartbeat is going to be the BEST sound in the WHOLE WORLD! Hang in there! :)

    ReplyDelete